Bike touring can be an amazing experience – you get to see new places, meet new people, and get some great exercise all while doing it.
However, it’s important to remember that bike touring is not without its risks.
Here are a few tips to help you stay safe while on your next bike tour.
Plan Your Route
1. Plan your route in advance. This will help you avoid getting lost and will also allow you to map out any potential hazards along the way.
Maintain Your Bike
2. Make sure your bike is in good working order before you set out. This means having it serviced and tuned up, as well as making sure you have the proper tires and other gear for the terrain you’ll be riding on.
Don’t Forget Water & Snacks
3. Bring along plenty of water and snacks. This will help you stay hydrated and fueled during your ride.
Get Dressed Properly
4. Dress appropriately for the weather. This means wearing layers so you can adjust as the temperature changes throughout the day.
5. Be visible. Wear bright clothing and/or reflective gear so that drivers can see you.
Be Aware Of The Surroundings
6. Use caution when riding in traffic. Obey all traffic laws and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Be Prepared For Any Emergency
7. Be prepared for emergencies. Bring along a first-aid kit and a cell phone in case you need to call for help.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your next bike tour is a safe and enjoyable one.